Exercise Music Shirt

For my second project, I made a wearable in the form of a shirt that plays music whenever the user moves/exercises. The shirt features a FLORA accelerometer sensor that has been sewn to the chest area. The sensor is then connected to the duct taped breadboard which holds an Arduino Nano. The Nano also has a speaker connected to it. Finally, to supply power, I used a 9 volt battery with a connector for ground and power. I was going to add some sort of pouch, or at least a switch to turn on and off the device, preventing the need the plug and unplug the battery for every use, but that was more of a stretch goal. Also, as mentioned before, I attempted to sew, but mostly failed and used lots of tape. Although that was also because I could not see a way to sew the whole breadboard securely. The only successfully sewn portion is the sensor, mostly because it is meant to be sewn through its holes. In terms of the software, I used the toneAC library for better sound control than the native Arduino tone functions. For the pitches, there is an external file holding variables for the frequencies of standard music notes. The Rocky theme has been hard-coded into two arrays, one for note frequency and one for note duration. Finally, the loop function reads the acceleration data from the sensor, compares it to the data from the last reading, sees if that difference is over a certain threshold, and if it is, the speaker plays the next note in the song. If no movement is detected, the song stops and starts back up from the stopped position when the next movement is detected. I tried implementing the ability to loop through the song, but for reasons I can't understand, all my attempts failed. Either way, I'm happy with how this project turned out, even as hacked together as it may seem.

I also used a second shirt over top of the first shirt to hide the wiring.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lentils and Jello Maze Game

LED on Fabric